Thursday, September 22, 2011

Getting a new vespa key replacement

Brown 'master' key and regular blue key. The master key is considerably thicker.

When I bought my vespa used, it only came with one brown key. I later found out that this brown key is the "master" key. Apparently all modern vespa keys are "electronic" in that they have transponder chips inside the key head. This chip has coded information that interacts with the vespa headset, and ensures that only certain keys that have been programmed (which either the factory programmed or incidentally you can also program) will be able to start and get your vespa running.

This added measure of security is good in that it should make your expensive vehicle harder to steal. It is also bad in that you can't just take a vespa key to the key shop and get a clone made that will work on your bike (on most models). Apparently new vespas ship with 1) the brown master key 2) at least two blue 'regular' keys, and 3) a card with code information incase you loose or break all your keys. Wisdom has it that one should keep the brown key at home in a safe place as it is the master, and if you loose it along with your blue keys, your panties would most certainly get bunched from not being able to startup the badboy (the brown key is basically the one key that rules them all). In fear of this scenario, I decided to get myself a blue key so the brown could be stowed away at home.

After calling the local dealer (we only have one on Oahu), I found out they wanted $50 for a 'blank' new replacement key, which still had to be cut and programmed. Forget about that. After a bit of internet searching, I found a guy on the Big Island who sent me a new 'blue' key in three days after hitting up his paypal account with $15 + $3 shipping ($5 shipping USA nationwide, $8 international). I then took the new blank key to be cut, and then programmed it myself following some simple steps.

Here's the link to John's website:
http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/vespachipkey.html

And here's another source for blue keys:
http://allmotorcyclekeys.com/

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info.

    I bought a Vespa GT200 without the master key. After speaking with Piaggio in New York. I had two keys made by Jim Hamilton at www.allmotorcyclekeys.com Super nice guy to deal with too. He actually rides a vespa : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cool service, and it's good to know that losing the master (red or brown) key is not so bad if you still have a blue one. I would definitely recommend having a backup around though, be it blue or red. Having no keys suck big time!

      Delete
  2. I have an old P100 Sport Vespa from '82. Looks like I just lost the key. I have no replacements either, sadly. Do I need to replace the whole ignition or are there ways to get old keys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry.. I'm not too familiar with old vespa keys, but I'm guessing there are 3 possible routes:

      1) If it's an 80s model there's a chance the dealer might be able to get you a replacement key if you provide them the vehicle info? I know this is true for modern vespa.

      2) It might be possible to re-key the lock? I would check with the local locksmiths.
      http://vespafix.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-old-vespa-scripted-keys.html

      3) Replace the ignition, probably as a last resort. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. awesome thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i lost all keys. Only i have code card. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I bought my vespa I only had one blue key. The dealership said they couldn't make a copy and that it would cost 500$ to re key the bike. I have recently lost my one blue key leaving me with no key. What are my options? Is there anything I can do but pay to have it re-keyed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I bought my vespa I only had one blue key. The dealership said they couldn't make a copy and that it would cost 500$ to re key the bike. I have recently lost my one blue key leaving me with no key. What are my options? Is there anything I can do but pay to have it re-keyed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The previous owner of my GTS told me that when the keys are lost, you have to get a new computer put on the bike, which runs about $800.00. You can't simply get a new key ignition switch. I don't know how true that is, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you loose it just call Greg at 860 866 8339 make sure to say Frank C sent you

      Delete
  8. Hey its not true. There is this guy on ebay who make it for 175$. Know his stuff and even helps over the phone how to take the ecu and send him. You can find him on ebay but for people who need it phone 860 866 8339. Please refer that you have that number from Frank C. Thank you and hope I helped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too good information that you shared. It would be so useful post for those are searching such kind of information.

    Duplicate key Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have no keys for our Vespa p200e, how do I get new keys?



    ReplyDelete
  11. Our neighbor is selling a 2014 Vespa LX150 with no keys, but has all the title & paperwork. If I am interested, how can I get new keys?

    Also, someone was trying to steal it and damaged the ignition compartment switch and now it won't start. How much to fix something like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how you don't have keys but can turn the ignition so you can start it. Sounds like you're asking how to rob a bike mate.

      Delete
  12. I have two keys a blue and one that is not Vespa but has numbers on case .I have mislaid the blue one in my flat and am using the large non Vespa key. Is there any chance it could be the red key, copy of it. And info appreciated . I am in London U.K..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just bought a 2004 Vespa et4 150cc and the guy had a cloned key that came with it, can I get it duplicated or do I need a master key and if so where do I find it...really would like a back up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you don't have a master key, I believe you need a Code Card, in order to program your duplicate key. I say this, having just bought a 946 Bellissima that came with a master key and one of these cards, but I am told that this is exactly what is needed to make additional keys that will get one past the built-in immobilizer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wife lost all of her keys i went to the dealer they wanted 950$ and they will make me one key only i didn't want to pay it and did some online serch for local locksmith i found amazing local locksmith
    https://serrurier-plateau.com/en/ with mobile service they came day after and made me 2 keys on site for 300$.

    ReplyDelete